SALKANTAY HORSE RIDING AND CLASSIC INCA TRAIL (12D/11N)
Salkantay, or the “Wild Mountain” as it’s known in Quechua, is one of the highest peaks in Peru and is not to be missed. Many people are attracted to this route for its views of jagged, Andean peaks and the wildlife and architecture at the final destination of Machu Picchu. This is a long, tiring journey, but if you’re full of energy and love of adventure, this is your route!
DAY 1 LIMA
You’ll arrive at the international airport in Lima (the majority of flights arrive at night between 8pm and 2am). Our team will be waiting with a private vehicle to take you to the hotel of your choice. Depending on your flight schedule, you will have the opportunity to visit some of the most important sites and museums in Lima. (Optional).
DAY 2 LIMA – CUSCO
Early in the morning, you’ll return to the Lima airport to take your flight to Cusco, the former capital of the Inca Empire. Upon your arrival, the Land of the Inkas team will be waiting to greet you. During the trip to the center in a private vehicle, the guide will give a brief introductory talk about the city. You’ll have the rest of the day free to acclimatize, relax and enjoy the exceptional atmosphere in Cusco, home to the some of the most amazing history and culture in South America.
DAY 3 CUSCO
On the third day, we’ll visit the most important tourist sites in the city and its surroundings. This is an opportunity to try new things and to learn about the history of Cusco and the daily life of its people. Our destinations today include churches, museums and archeological sites. In the afternoon, we’ll visit the fortress of Saqsaywaman and the complexes of Qenqo, Pucapucara and Tambomachay. All of these were highly important sites in the Inca religion and are located close to Cusco. After our explorations, we’ll return you to your hotel to spend the night.
DAY 4 CUSCO – PAROBAMBA (CAMP)
We will leave Cusco early today to fully enjoy all the opportunities that await us. The start of the Salkantay trail is in Mollepata, a small village up in the mountains. On the way here, we’ll visit the ruins of Tarawasi. Once in Mollepata we’ll explore around and, if you like, talk to some of the locals about their lives and experiences. Before nightfall we’ll walk an hour to arrive in Parobamba, the first campsite.
DAY 5 PAROBAMBA – SORAYPAMPA (CAMP)
We’ll make sure that you get a balanced breakfast this morning to keep you full of energy on the hike to Cruzpata. You’ll have great views of mountains important to locals, such as Humantay. After and tasty lunch we’ll continue on to Soraypampa. The people here are very friendly and welcoming and will give you a warm welcome. We’ll have dinner and camp here.
DAY 6 SORAYPAMPA – SISAYPAMPA (CAMP)
We’ll start the day with a climb to Salkantaypampa, a plain located at the foot of Salkantay. We’ll take a rest and take our time exploring around. After lunch, we’ll continue the hike towards Incachiriaska Pass and afterwards, before night falls, arrive at our campsite at Sisaypampa.
DAY 7 SISAYPAMPA – HUAYLLABAMBA (CAMP)
The hike today is spectacular. We’ll rise and eat breakfast early and make tracks for Pampacahua. We’ll have an alfresco lunch here and likely begin to see other hikers, as this town connects us to the Classic Inca Trail. Our day will end in the village of Huayllabamba.
DAY 8 HUAYLLABAMBA – PACAYMAYO (CAMP)
DAY 9 PACAYMAYO – PHUYUPATAMARCA (CAMP)
DAY 10 PHUYUPATAMARCA- MACHU PICCHU
DAY 11 MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
DAY 12 CUSCO – LIMA
On the final day, we’ll take you to the Cusco airport for your return flight to Lima and your connecting flight home.
* In case you want to visit any additional sites, you can add extensions on to your original package. If you choose an extension, we’ll organize the connection to your next destination. Someone from the Land of the Inkas team will accompany you to ensure that you make your connection and that everything goes smoothly.
- A bilingual guide for all the tours described in the itinerary.
- All flights within Peru.
- All ground transportation during the trip.
- The entrance costs for all the tours/sites mentioned.
- All hotels (Double beds, with continental breakfast)
- All the meals mentioned. (The guide will carry a first aid kit)
- An additional room can be obtained at the client’s request.
- Transportation (e.g. international flights) to and from Peru.
- Lunch and dinner in cities (aside from those specifically mentioned)
- Hiking boots and personal equipment.
- Personal costs (tips and gratuities, alcoholic beverages, travel/medical insurance, medical costs, laundromat charges, airport taxes, etc.)
- Av. La Cultura N° 1318 Wanchaq, Cusco.
- +51 84 233451 (Cusco)
- +51 1 2241816 (Lima)
Our hours are in Peruvian time (GTM -5)