PERU OVERNIGHT HIKES (9D/8N)
Explore Cusco and the Sacred Valley off the beaten path. Avoid tourist crowds by trekking a less-visited section of the Inca Trail. Surrounded by the breath-taking beauty of the Andes Mountain range, you will visit sites where the Inca collected stones to build their cities, explore ruins most tourists never see, and learn about vegetation unique to the Sacred Valley. Your trip culminates with the train ride to legendary Machu Picchu where you’ll have the opportunity to explore the sacred city and surrounding mountains. An experienced guide provides historical context for understanding this magical place.
DAY 1 LIMA
The first day of your trip will be low-key as most flights arrive at the international airport in Lima between 8pm and 2am. Our team will be waiting with a private vehicle to take you to the hotel of your choice. Depending on your itinerary, you may choose to visit some of Lima’s museums or visit the charming Bohemian neighborhoods of Mira Flores or Barranco where sidewalk cafes and culture abound!
DAY 2 LIMA – CUSCO
Early in the morning, you’ll return to the Lima airport for your flight to Cusco, the former capital of the Inca Empire. Upon your arrival, the Land of the Inkas team will be waiting to greet you. During the trip to the center in a private vehicle, you’ll have the chance to see the historic Plaza de Armas. You’ll have the rest of the day free to acclimatize, relax and enjoy the exceptional atmosphere in Cusco, home to the some of the most amazing history and culture in South America.
DAY 3 CUSCO – CITY HIKING TOUR
DAY 4 DAY HIKE FROM LAKE PIURAY TO SAQSAYWAMAN
After breakfast we’ll pick you up at your hotel and take you to Lake Piuray, where our day’s hike starts from. Over the next few hours we’ll take in spectacular views as we cross hills over 13,000 ft. We’ll reward ourselves with a delicious gourmet picnic lunch prepared by our chefs. The hike then continues downhill until we arrive at the ruins of Saqsaywaman, where you’ll have the opportunity to relax and explore the fortress before returning to Cusco. (B, L)
Hike details: roughly 8.2 miles, 6+ hours. Altitude: from 12,045 ft. to 13,805 ft.
DAY 5 COMMUNITY OF AMARU – PISAC RUINS
DAY 6 CACHICATA – OLLANTAYTAMBO
DAY 7 OLLANTAYTAMBO – MACHU PICCHU
DAY 8 MACHU PICCHU – CHINCHERO – CUSCO
DAY 9 CUSCO – LIMA – FLIGHT HOME
On the final day, our team will say goodbye as we take you to the Cusco airport for your return flight to Lima and your connecting flight home.
* In case you want to visit any additional sites, you can add extensions on to your original package. If you choose an extension, we’ll organize the connection to your next destination. Someone from the Land of the Inkas team will accompany you to ensure that you make your connection and that everything goes smoothly.
- A bilingual guide for all the tours described in the itinerary.
- All flights within Peru.
- All ground transportation during the trip.
- The entrance costs for all the tours/sites mentioned.
- All hotels (Double beds, with continental breakfast)
- All the meals mentioned. (The guide will carry a first aid kit)
- An additional room can be obtained at the client’s request.
- Transportation (e.g. international flights) to and from Peru.
- Lunch and dinner in cities (aside from those specifically mentioned)
- Hiking boots and personal equipment.
- Personal costs (tips and gratuities, alcoholic beverages, travel/medical insurance, medical costs, laundromat charges, airport taxes, etc.)
- Av. La Cultura N° 1318 Wanchaq, Cusco.
- +51 84 233451 (Cusco)
- +51 1 2241816 (Lima)
Our hours are in Peruvian time (GTM -5)