DISCOUVER MACHUPICCHU AND LAKE TITICACA PUNO (9D/8N)
A journey into the past that offers the beauty of Cusco, Puno and Lake Titicaca, the birthplace of the founders of Inca society according to legend. You’ll explore Machu Picchu, the ruins around Cusco, and the high Andean plateau around Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world. Come discover this precious corner of the world with Land of the Inkas over the course of this 9 day trip.
DAY 1 LIMA
You’ll arrive at the international airport in Lima (the majority of flights arrive at night between 8pm and 2am). Our team will be waiting with a private vehicle to take you to the hotel of your choice. Depending on your flight schedule, you will have the opportunity to visit some of the most important sites and museums in Lima. (Optional).
DAY 2 LIMA – CUSCO
Early in the morning, you’ll return to the Lima airport to take your flight to Cusco, the former capital of the Inca Empire. Upon your arrival, the Land of the Inkas team will be waiting to greet you. During the trip to the center in a private vehicle, the guide will give a brief introductory talk about the city. You’ll have the rest of the day free to acclimatize, relax and enjoy the exceptional atmosphere in Cusco, home to the some of the most amazing history and culture in South America.
DAY 3 CUSCO AND ITS SURROUNDINGS
On the third day, we’ll visit the most important tourist sites in the city and its surroundings. This is an opportunity to try new things and to learn about the history of Cusco and the daily life of its people. Our destinations today include churches, museums and archeological sites. In the afternoon, we’ll visit the fortress of Saqsaywaman and the complexes of Qenqo, Pucapucara and Tambomachay. All of these were highly important sites in the Inca religion and are located close to Cusco. After our explorations, we’ll return you to your hotel to spend the night.
DAY 4 CUSCO – SACRED VALLEY OF THE INCAS
We’ll continue our excursion by heading out to the Sacred Valley, which awaits us with its warmer climate. The town of Pisac is our first stop. All along the road out to the ruins there, you can see remains of Inca agricultural activity. You’ll take in the sweeping panoramic views of the Andean mountains and visit the towns of Calca and Urubamba. After lunch, our journey continues towards Ollantaytambo, whose layout still shows signs of Inca planning, with its cobbled streets and Inca fort. We will spend the night in a hotel here.
DAY 5 OLLANTAYTAMBO – MACHU PICCHU
We’ll depart for Machu Picchu from Ollantaytambo by train, a journey which follows the course of the Urubamba river for around 1.5 hours. Our destination is the thickly vegetated land with high peaks that shelters the town of Aguas Calientes. After checking into our hotel and having lunch, a bus will carry us to the ruins of Machu Picchu, recognized as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. Your guide will go into depth about the history and archeology of the Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary. We’ll also have time to appreciate the cloud forest which surrounds the site before returning by bus to Aguas Calientes and your hotel.
DAY 6 MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Early on the following day, we’ll return to Machu Picchu in bus to enjoy the early morning light and thinner crowds. We’ll then climb the steep path up to Huayna Picchu. This is a fascinating archeological site in its own right, but it also offers a commanding view of Machu Picchu in its entirety. In the afternoon, we’ll return to Aguas Calientes to take the return train to Ollantaytambo where our bus will be waiting for us. On the way back, we’ll be able to visit to town of Chinchero before returning to your hotel in Cusco.
DAY 7 CUSCO – PUNO (TRAVEL DAY)
A private bus will pick you up from your hotel. The itinerary and travel times for your journey to Puno depend on which option you select: bus, train or plane.
- By bus: the best way to enjoy the splendid views and tourist attractions along the way. You’ll see the fertile valleys of the Vilcanota River and La Raya (the high pass between the departments of Cusco and Puno), plus the high Andean plains common to this part of Peru. You’ll have time to visit the colonial church in Andahuaylillas with its famous works of art, the temple of the creator god Viracocha at Racchi, and the artisan town of Pucara.
- By train: the Andean Explorer train will whisk you from Cusco to the city of Puno. You’ll see many of the same sights as you would on the bus, including the high Andean plain of the Vilcanota Plateau, but without the various stops.
- By plane: you’ll arrive at the Juliaca airport and be taken by bus to your hotel in Puno, a mere 45 minutes across the plains of Juliaca.
DAY 8 LAKE TITICACA
In the morning, your boat departs from the shore of Lake Titicaca. A 25 minute boat ride will bring you to the floating Uros Islands. These are stable, man-made islands constructed from a local reed known as “totora” which has been used for centuries by the people here to make houses and boats. After spending 2.5 hours visiting different islands, we’ll arrive at Taquile Island for a visit to the native community there. We’ll have time to learn about the local customs and to admire the excellent textiles produced by their master weavers.
In the afternoon, we’ll return to Puno and your hotel.
DAY 9 PUNO – SILLUSTANI – JULIACA – LIMA
We’ll leave Puno to visit the Sillustani ruins. This archeological site is composed of 90 conical towers called “chullpas,” made of large stone blocks carved from volcanic rock. They were built to house the remains of the nobility and elites, including priests and rulers, whose bodies were worshipped afterwards in a “cult of the dead.” Our visit to the Puno area ends here, and we’ll drive you to the Juliaca airport to fly to Lima and onwards back home.
*In case you want to visit any additional sites, you can add extensions on to your original package. If you choose an extension, we’ll organize the connection to your next destination. Someone from the Land of the Inkas team will accompany you to ensure that you make your connection and that everything goes smoothly.
- A bilingual guide for all the tours described in the itinerary.
- All flights within Peru.
- All ground transportation during the trip.
- The entrance costs for all the tours/sites mentioned.
- All hotels (Double beds, with continental breakfast)
- All the meals mentioned. (The guide will carry a first aid kit)
- An additional room can be obtained at the client’s request.
- Transportation (e.g. international flights) to and from Peru.
- Lunch and dinner in cities (aside from those specifically mentioned)
- Hiking boots and personal equipment.
- Personal costs (tips and gratuities, alcoholic beverages, travel/medical insurance, medical costs, laundromat charges, airport taxes, etc.)
- Av. La Cultura N° 1318 Wanchaq, Cusco.
- +51 84 233451 (Cusco)
- +51 1 2241816 (Lima)
Our hours are in Peruvian time (GTM -5)